TikTok is the hottest social media platform right now, with over 1 billion active monthly users (source). To put that in perspective, with just four years of being in operation, TikTok has roughly one-third the monthly active users of sixteen-year-old Facebook.
But how to jump on the TikTok bandwagon? With videos of just 3 seconds to 1 minute, TikTok certainly matches our 21st century attention spans, but it also makes it challenging to market complicated or intricate messages.
Below are the ten best practices to grow your audience on TikTok:
- Have a person speaking and dancing to music.
- Videos need to be short — 60 seconds or less is ideal.
- Integrate words with music. Use the songs listing as “trending” on TikTok for best results.
- Again, you need a person.
2. Participate in TikTok’s viral challenges. Try to record a video (or hire someone to) quickly as a part of one of these challenges.
3. Use the trending songs as your background. As with the viral challenges, other TikTokers often search who is doing the same things. Use songs that are popular, and you’re more likely to be found.
4. Keep exploring more hashtags. There’s very limited text, so you can only do 2-4 hashtags at a time.
5. Follow popular accounts in their categories. I would recommend as many as you can manage following, upwards of 100 per day.
6. Comment on popular accounts in their categories. I would recommend as many comments as someone can muster, upwards of 20 per day.
7. Collaborate with other TikTokers with an existing audience. Propose to send x number of messages to TikTokers, and ask them to collaborate with you. This could mean starring in a video with you, featuring an ad, etc.
8. Post at the right times. According to Influencer Marketing Hub, the following are the best days and times to post:
- Monday: 6 AM, 10 AM, 10 PM
- Tuesday: 2 AM, 4 AM, *9 AM
- Wednesday: 7 AM, 8 AM, 11 PM
- Thursday: 9 AM, *12 AM, 7 PM
- Friday: *5 AM, 1 PM, 3 PM
- Saturday: 11 AM, 7 PM, 8 PM
- Sunday: 7 AM, 8 AM, 4 PM
Times marked with * offer particularly high levels of engagement.
9. Be consistent about posting new content (daily Monday-Friday is ideal), using trending music/hashtags, participating in viral challenges, following popular accounts, commenting on popular accounts, and answering comments.
10. Use your statistics to decide what topics and style to use moving forward. Other TikTokers will let you know from views and likes and follows which types and styles of posts are worth repeating, and which should be avoided in the future.
If you want top-notch digital marketing strategy, or have questions about your own digital marketing strategy, reach out to us at AEK Solutions for a free, no-obligation Q&A session. AEK Solutions is dedicated to creating new sources of repeatable growth online by embracing a rapid-experimentation, funnel-based approach. We also utilize creative and technology, such as geotargeting, customer experience management, and moments of influence testing to develop solutions to specific digital marketing issues.